Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday Thoughts

As the holidays draw closer, I find myself reminiscing a lot. At this time of the year many people feel sad because it is a time to be with family and share good times with our loved ones and we are missing the ones we lost. When we lose someone we love, we tend to be a little maudlin during the holidays. My mother passed away 6 years ago and I still miss her terribly, especially during the holidays. We were very close, and we shared some wonderful times together.  I read a post about "Those Damn Christmas Letters". It was very funny yet poignant for me. My mom used to write a Christmas newsletter every year. Her letter was not the kind that only told how good everything and everyone was, but was a real newsletter sent to family  members to keep everyone informed about everyone else with the happenings good and bad for the year. I promised her I would continue the tradition and I have kept it up since she died. It gets harder each year as the family has grown somewhat apart, but I find out as much as I can about what has happened in the family throughout the year and put it in the letter. I found one of my mom's Christmas poems  from the Christmas before she died and I want to share it with you. 


When I am asked: “What do you want for Christmas?
What can we give you this year?”

If I say “NOTHING”, you buy something anyway.
So here’s a list of what I would like; believe me when I say:
Pajamas for a little child, food to feed the poor.
Blankets for a shelter and I ask but little more—

Perform good deeds and let me know, or volunteer your time.
These last are worth a fortune, and they needn’t cost a dime.
I have so many things now; vases, candles, clocks, and tapes.
I have no need for garments, or for pretty trays or plates.
Candy is too fattening, knickknacks I have plenty of.
Just make a little time & spread some Christmas love.

I have no walls to hang more pictures.  I have books I haven’t yet read.
So please take what you would spend on me and help the poor instead!
Just send a Christmas card to tell me what you have done.
I will open them on Christmas Eve and read them one by one.
It won’t cost much for postage as a package sent would do.
You’ll need no wrapping paper, ribbons, ink or glue.

I will be so thankful that you listened to what I had to say.
And I will be the instrument to help someone else this way.
Thank you for paying attention to what I had to say.
Spread love & peace & happiness in this very special way.

Thank you!
Love
Shirley


Dedicated to my mom in loving memory this holiday season! 


 Ded

2 comments:

  1. Nay Nay: You won a choice of my books at Nikki's Close Encounters Boyfriend Hop. I had your email but it's not listed under Nay Nay. LOL
    litemdbear777@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a sweet poem. It never gets any easier at the holidays without my mom. She passed away 3 years ago. Thankfully my brother and other family members are coming for Thanksgiving this year.

    ReplyDelete